[Updated January 20, 2010] – For your reference, here’s a reading list to make sense of recent amendments to the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) and how these latest changes have increased protections for military families:
FMLA Amended Again By The National Defense Authorization Act for 2010 (by Duane Morris): On October 28, 2009, President Obama signed into law the National
Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010, Public Law 111-84
(“NDAA for 2010”). Primarily a defense appropriations law, the NDAA
contains several amendments to the family military-leave provisions of
the Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”)…
Family and Medical Leave Act Further Helps Military Families (by Sheppard Mullin): The bill increases
protections for families of military personnel who wish to take leave
from work under the Family and Medical Leave Act. The
new amendments expand on changes implemented less than a year ago
requiring that certain employers provide unpaid leave for qualifying
family members of military personnel…
Recent FMLA Amendments Regarding Military Leave (by Dinsmore & Shohl): This new entitlement is now extended to an employee whose spouse, son, daughter
or parent is a member of the regular Armed Forces – not just the
National Guard or Reserves – and is deployed to a foreign country,
rather than only when deployed in support of a contingency operation.
FMLA’s Military Leave Provisions Expanded (by Ford & Harrison): The NDAA also extends the scope of military caregiver leave to families
of certain veterans, who previously were not covered by the provision.
It also permits military caregiver leave for serious injuries or
illnesses that are the result of pre-existing conditions that were
aggravated by service while on active duty.
The FMLA Gets (Yet ANOTHER) Facelift! (by Miller & Martin PLLC): Most of the news media’s focus has been on the financial and other
“support for our troops” aspects of this law. However, it has serious
human resource implications as well…
FMLA – Background Reading & Archived Updates:
- Family and Medical Leave Act E-Newsletter (Howard Ankin) – January, 2010.
- DOL Clarifies FMLA Amendments Related to Servicemember Care and Other Military-Related Exigencies (Littler Mendelson) – November, 2008.
- President Signs Bill Expanding FMLA Protection for Military Family Members (Ford & Harrison LLP) – January, 2008.
- Highlights of the Final Revised FMLA Regulations (Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen, P.C.) – January, 2009.
- Proper documentation may have helped resort in FMLA lawsuit (Fox Rothschild) – December, 2009.
- Tackle Tough FMLA Issues (Denise Drake, Spencer Fane) – 47-page resource guide, Oct. 2009.
Got FMLA-related news and analysis to add to the mix? Please do so now.