For your reference, a list of articles to help you make the most of professional networking platform LinkedIn.
LinkedIn might need no introduction (according to Steve Matthews, as of June, 2009, 840k legal professionals use the service), but do you know how to make the most of your time on the site?
LinkedIn for Lawyers: A “How-to” Reading List
- LinkedIn for Lawyers 101 – guide to getting started and making the most of your profile, groups, Q & A, add-on applications, and other features.
- New User Starter Guide – beginner tips provided by LinkedIn (example: “Add a profile photo – people never forget a face”).
- LinkedIn User Guide: Attorneys – as above, but these basic recommendations were crafted by LinkedIn with lawyers in mind.
- How to Get Started With LinkedIn – a repeat of some of the information above, but clearly explained and with additional tips (such as: “Create a LinkedIn Email Signature”)
- 100+ Smart Ways to Use LinkedIn – offering a broad view, a clearinghouse of information that is the result of a group writing project begun in 2007.
- Ten Ways to Use LinkedIn – an oldie but goodie from Guy Kawasaki (with tips covering everything from “Enhance your search engine results” to “Gauge the health of a company.”)
- How to Successfully Participate in LinkedIn Groups – a basic primer for anyone uncomfortable or unfamiliar with professional “socializing” online.
- 8 Tips for Managing a LinkedIn Group – curious about starting your own group? Read this from Mashable, covering everything from member promotion to news feeds.
- Facebook Could Learn a Thing or Two from LinkedIn’s Faceted Search – article by Mashable about the value of faceted search filtering on LinkedIn, a new development on the site.
- LinkedIn for Business: Using LinkedIn Answers – video by Rich Brooks explaining how to jump into LinkedIn’s “Answers” feature (includes monitoring Q&A via RSS).
- LinkedIn Mobile – a resource from LinkedIn, when you’re ready to go mobile via iPhone or Blackberry.
- How to Use the Twitter-LinkedIn Connection Properly – a look at the value of selective Twitter updates only in LinkedIn (and how to make the connection).
- How to Create Your LinkedIn Company Profile – step-by-step guide (and video) for creating a company profile on LinkedIn … good information for law firms and solos interesting in extending LinkedIn footprint.
- 5 Ways Lawyers Can Get More Out of LinkedIn in 2010 – Kevin O’Keefe, quoting CIO Magazine’s Kristin Burnham (and touching upon groups, recommendations, advanced search, and more).
- LinkedIn Business Development Checklist – by legal marketing and business development professional Larry Bodine, as posted to JD Supra.
Be sure to check in with the original LinkedIn Lawyer, David Barrett, who for some time has managed one of the biggest LinkedIn legal networks – and knows a thing or two about how to use the site. (Check in here for a list of LinkedIn legal groups, as curated by David.)
Do you have any favorite LinkedIn resources to add to the mix? Leave a comment or connect with me (on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, the local coffee shop) and I’ll include your link.